January 26, 2006

The Importance of Actions

By: Jennifer Fayed

There have been instances that I have noticed that giving dawah not only means speaking about Islam, but demonstrating it by our behavior and actions which is stronger than what we contemplate. Did you ever hear the saying "Actions speak louder than words"? The truth of the matter is that in actuality our manners and behaviors are the foundations of how we show non-Muslims the true teachings of Islam. The ways we conduct ourselves in our everyday lives is a major factor in how people perceive Islam, in which curiosity might incite some thoughts in their minds.I have met people in my life and others that shows how crucial our behavior is to society. I have a situation that happened in my life which reflects my point of view. I was attending classes in the mosque about the Sunnah of our prophet (pbuh). In these classes I met a sister afterwards that was talking about how she came to Islam. She recognized me and pointed out "You work in Victoria's Secret, right?" to my dismay she continued to tell me that she noticed me working there and at the time was researching Islam, when she saw that I was the only covered woman working at Victoria’s Secret she was inspired to become Muslim. I was so astonished that a person that I had never seen or come in contact with was inspired to continue studying Islam and becoming Muslim. I never in a million years would have thought that my action to start wearing hijab would have such a strong impact on an individual that I happened to meet by the will of Allah (swt). These were the early stages of me realizing that our actions not only affect ourselves but in a larger spectrum – the society. This is just one proof of many instances that many Muslims and I have encountered just by following something so simple as the dress code that our Lord so Merciful has given us.

Allah (swt) says (Interpretation of meaning): 33:59 “O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.”

It's the little things like hijab and manners that affect how we as Muslims are perceived by a non-Islamic society. As Muslims it is our responsibility to show by our behavior what Islam truly means and what better method than showing people by our actions. We must understand that if we obey Allah (swt) and the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) we will triumph.

Allah (swt) says (Interpretation of meaning): 3:31 Say (O Muhammad to mankind): “If you (really) love Allah, then follow me (i.e. accept Islamic Monotheism, follow the Qur’an and the Sunnah), Allah will love you and forgive you your sins. And Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.”

Allah (swt) says (Interpretation of meaning): 16:30 “…For those who do good in this world, there is good, and the home of the Hereafter will be better. And excellent indeed will be the home (i.e. Paradise) of the Muttaqun (the pious).”

Non-Muslims have many misunderstandings about Islam. There are plenty of reasons why they misinterpret us. In my opinion, the main source for this misinformation is the media and the way we conduct ourselves around non-Muslims. The truth is that the media doesn’t actually perceive us in the best light. The news, movies and shows characterize us as the enemies to western society. What are we doing that they keep bashing the society with disgraceful images and biased perspectives of Islam? In the news they don’t usually mention the true side of certain conflicts around the world or they just release information on a need to know basis. In the movies and shows we are either portrayed either as second class citizens or menaces to society. In my view, the best ways to change their mindsets are by becoming more involved in our communities and by showing them what our Prophet (pbuh) has taught us. When we see an elderly woman who needs assistance, don’t just pass by her and ignore her ask if she needs help. When non-Muslims look at us with hatred in their eyes instead of avoiding eye contact or returning the hostility why don’t we greet them with a friendly smile? Abu Hurairah may Allah be pleased with him reported: The messenger of Allah (pbuh) said, “Every day the sun rises, charity (Sadaqah) is due on every joint of a person. Administering justice between two people is a charity; and assisting a man to mount his beast, or helping him load his luggage on it is a charity; and a good word is a charity; and every step that you take (towards the mosque) for Salat (prayer) is a charity; and removing harmful things from the road is charity.” [Al-Bukhari and Muslim]
These are simple deeds that are not only heavy on the scale [(Allah (swt) says interpretation of meaning): 4:40 “Surely, Allah wrongs not even of the weight of an atom (or a small ant), but if there is any good (done), He doubles it, and gives from Him a great reward”)] but it requires little effort on our part in transforming how we are perceived in society. I have noticed that people tend to tune out when they are being preached to without a due cause. The beauty of Islam is that we don’t force people to accept it; this is done by the will of Allah (swt) for He guides whom he wishes. When non-Muslims aren’t inclined to listen to what we have to say and what our beliefs are the next approach would obviously be our behavior and actions towards them. My sisters and brothers in Islam it is crucial for us to be vigilant in how we behave in front of people especially non-Muslims. Think of the good deeds that Allah (swt) will be multiplying on our scales; besides, the most fascinating aspect is that we may not even know when, where, or how we attained those beautiful deeds that will God willing save us from the hellfire and bring us closer to the gardens of paradise. So please let’s ask ourselves are we doing enough to change these point-of-views? What can you do to transform how we are perceived in society? These are very important questions that we should reflect on. May Allah (swt) guide us to the right path and help us in finding resourceful solutions so we can remove the stigma that non-Muslims have about Islam.
Copyright © 2006 Sumayah Fayed

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assalamu Alaykkum.
After reading your "The Importance of Actions" I decided to make Dawa Insha Allah, thru my actions. I am very happy that I read this.

Yours brother in Islam

5:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As salaamu alaikum,

Well done, well written and an inspiration for those who will listen. Jazakallah khair sister

Maryam

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Subject: The Scarf

By: Nura Alia Hossainzadeh

They stand there with shorts, so short, excessively short,
shorts that so deceptively capture from them all they know of modesty...
...and I proudly pull my scarf over my hair

They stand there, face lost in a sea of make-up,
make-up that so ruthlessly captures from them all they know of freedom...

...and I proudly pull my scarf over my hair

They stand there, hair raining with gels, colors -
chemicals that so menacingly capture from them all they know of purity...

...and I proudly pull my scarf over my hair

They stand there, so close, so very close to their "lover",
devoted to them, the devotion that so mercilessly captures from them all they know of individuality...

...and I proudly pull my scarf over my hair

And they stand there, talking of getting new shorts, new gels
and colors, new boyfriends, materialistic things
that so wrongfully capture from them all they know of God and love...

...and I proudly pull my scarf over my hair

For my scarf is my prot ector, my lover, my devotion,
my pureness, my beauty, my rememberance of God,

And I proudly pull it over my hair knowing that when I wear it,
I so rightfully thrust away all the things that the devil brought about,

And when I put it on,
I am Free...

1:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FROM MR. NAJI
benmades@yahoo.fr
Assalamu Alaykkum
i want to receiv email of dear
Jennifer Fayed
from MR NAJI TO Jennifer Fayed
I am very happy to write to you and I greet you and your family very cordially and your children you all your family and I am very happy to know you not only you are americain but because you are Moslem and you must be proud to be it and you carried the hijab Islamic scarf who gave you a exceptional beauty that you do not find out of the islam.I encourages you of my part you are in the good way . I request to approve, dear FAYD, the _expression of my greetings more friendly.i do not say yourself goodbye but to very soon.

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assalamu Alaykkum.

what you say is true.....May Allah S.W.T guide us all the way...

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Muslim must live in accordance to Islam. Actions that are not done based on Islam are not valid. For the Muslim to do an action without it being from Islam means that the Muslim is doing something wrong. How then could it be expected of a Muslim to do what is right? For the non-Muslims or Kuferoun to realise the goodness of the Muslmims, in todays day and age, it cannot be as a result of the Muslims themselves. In fact, in the past when non-Muslims from the Far East converted into Islam it was because they had seen Islam in Practice.
We live in a period of time where there are alot of actions not based on Islam. May Allah make us realise that true success comes from refering back to Islam and nothing else.
By the way I do like your article.

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click here to join Muslimah_Writers_Alliance
Click to join Muslimah_Writers_Alliance
Copyright © 2006 Sumayah Fayed Authorization is given to distribute on websites for dawah (invitation to Islam) purposes in non-profit publications under the following conditions:information on this site may not be modified,copyright notice and permission notice must appear in the publication (Copyright © 2006 Sumayah Fayed. All Rights Reserved)If use is for commercial purposes please contact the author for all other rights, which are reserved.