May 06, 2006

I am Woman


"I am Woman"
By: Sumayah (Jennifer) Fayed
I don't need your remorse or sympathy
I don't have any regret or care on
How society views me.
I am no longer a statistic
A toy for men to play with
I know what I am worth
I am beautiful just the way God made me

I am a woman who is precious
Not something to be fixed, sliced,
Cut up and made to entice
Since when does beauty only matter?
I was raised and taught that
Your mind is what flatters.
I am sick… I am tired…
Women are being abused all around
I feel like I’m gonna drown!
Set me free from this despair!
Oh my God I swear!
Free the people’s errs
Why can’t they understand women?
We are valuable precious beings
We deserve to be treasured, appreciated
And loved to a degree that lifts us
From all the afflictions that we see!
Then maybe somehow we can agree
That I am a woman and I have dignity!
I submitted this poem for the MWA Poetry Contest

Copyright © 2006 Sumayah Fayed
Authorization is given to distribute on websites for dawah (invitation to Islam) purposes in non-profit publications under the following conditions:
1. Information on this site may not be modified.
2. Copyright notice and permission notice must appear in the publication "Copyright © 2006 Sumayah Fayed. All Rights Reserved".
If use is for commercial purposes please contact the author for all other rights, which are reserved.
Copyright © 2006 Sumayah Fayed

5 Comments:

Blogger Ayman said...

salamo alaykum

Dear sister,

This piece is very nice :), small, yet, rich.

The image you put at the top of the poem is very nice and I found it suitable as being a heading of my upcoming piece, so wanted to ask you whether you permit me to use it. My next publication will be "A Mother", a story of a loving mother and a beloved son.

Jazaki Allah kheir

Assalamo alaykum

5:48 AM  
Blogger Ayman said...

salamo alaykum

Dear sister,

This piece is very nice :), small, yet, rich.

The image you put at the top of the poem is very nice and I found it suitable as being a heading of my upcoming piece, so wanted to ask you whether you permit me to use it. My next publication will be "A Mother", a story of a loving mother and a beloved son.

Jazaki Allah kheir

Assalamo alaykum

5:48 AM  
Blogger Sumayah said...

Walakium Salaam Brother Ayman

Thanks for the nice comment on the poem. You have my humble permission to use the image on your next upcoming piece. I also think it's such a beautiful image mashallah.

6:00 AM  
Blogger Sketched Soul said...

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahamtu Llahi wa Barakatuhu sister Sumayah,

That is such a beautiful poem!! I love it! Masha'Allah you are a very talented writer. I hope to read more of your work, insha'Allah.

Ma'salaama
Farhana

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assalamu Alaikum ukhti,
Very beautiful poem!! A mustread for all, jazakallahu Khairan!!

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click here to join Muslimah_Writers_Alliance
Click to join Muslimah_Writers_Alliance
Copyright © 2006 Sumayah Fayed Authorization is given to distribute on websites for dawah (invitation to Islam) purposes in non-profit publications under the following conditions:information on this site may not be modified,copyright notice and permission notice must appear in the publication (Copyright © 2006 Sumayah Fayed. All Rights Reserved)If use is for commercial purposes please contact the author for all other rights, which are reserved.