March 21, 2006

Hijab a Gift from Allah


By: Jennifer Fayed

Hijab is the easiest decision that I made in Islam next to my reversion. I thought that starting to wear the headscarf would be difficult, but Alhamdulilah it was not. I remember how I first started to wear hijab. I was living alone for about a month in a room which the landlords were Indian Muslims. They were very sweet and kind people. I had made my decision to go attend the mosque for the first time, but first I needed to know how to wear hijab so I wouldn’t disrespect the Muslims in their place of worship. One day, I went knocking on their door not knowing the Islamic etiquette and I asked the woman, “Do you know how to wear the scarf?” She smiled and said, “Its easy just pin it under your chin”. I then told her, “Isn’t there a different way of wearing it?” insinuating that I liked the style of how some Muslim girls would wear it. She further told me that she didn’t go out much so when she did wear it, she would just pin it under her chin, but didn’t know other stylish ways of wearing hijab. I went home and had a big black pashmina made out of cotton, and did as my landlord suggested. I looked at myself in the mirror and thought I looked really silly. I spent hours in front of the mirror trying to figure out how to wrap this piece of cloth around my head. I just didn’t know the secret, “agh…” I thought let me go shopping and see if there are easier scarves out there. It was going to be a more challenging search than what I had anticipated.There were square, rectangular, bright, solid, patterned all kinds of scarves. I searched everywhere and not knowing any practicing Muslims I was left to fend on my own. I didn’t know how to begin in wrapping the scarf. I was so confused.


I finally entered a store where I think the salesgirl knew I was perplexed. I told her I needed a Muslim scarf the easiest one that they had available. She looked at me weirdly and told me this is what we have. She showed me a two-piece hijab that was white with lace on the trimming of the two pieces. So I said “Thanks, how much?” I was so ecstatic when I walked out the store I had bought my first hijab. I couldn’t wait to get home and figure out how to put it on. How difficult could a two-piece hijab really be? When I got home I took the package out of the bag. I ripped the plastic open, and I was very excited to see how it felt and looked out of the plastic. I was facing the room mirror when I put it on. The thing was that I didn’t know that the lace part goes on my forehead not behind my head. I put it on excited I stared at my reflection in the mirror. I thought I looked so pretty in my new hijab. I looked at the lady on the package and realized that I was wearing it the wrong way. My first of many trials in Islam, good thing I was alone and no one was there to laugh at me. That same day I went to the mosque, and I loved how hijab made me feel. I remember walking in the street and people giving me hateful stares. I jumped on the train and noticed that almost everyone in the train cart was looking at me (talk about the pressure). My favorite thing about wearing hijab was the feeling of security and freedom.

It was the first time in my life that a man didn’t yell and holler on what a hot babe I was. It was as if I were invisible to the opposite sex. I honestly had this sense of liberation in my heart. I didn’t know what a beautiful feeling I would have while wearing hijab. I very shortly discovered that hijab was a blessing from Allah (swt) His divinely wisdom in protecting the woman.

Allah (swt) says (Interpretation of meaning): 33:59 “O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.”

One of the purposes of hijab is to protect women and to elevate us from being viewed only as sexual beings. I saw this everyday when I wore hijab. If I had to talk to a man he wouldn’t see me anymore as this piece of flesh. I was seen as an equal and they would be captivated by what my mind possessed. I was so proud of this achievement. I was taught in the past by my society that feminism was the capacity to do things better than men, and that there was nothing wrong in using my sexual appeal to attain my personal ambitions. After discovering hijab, I realized that these concepts that western society has, only inhibits women’s true beauty and intelligence.Western society has cast this veil over women to promote their ideology of what women should be. Everywhere you look in the west you are constantly bombarded with the idea that sex sells and some women naively fall into this trap. This is one of the astonishing concepts of Western society. It connects political oppression with moral negligence. This relationship has been brought about by many rulers both past and present. It’s a means to keep people preoccupied with their own desires and vain obsessions. They do this in an effort so the people won’t be interested and would be very distant from public affairs. In my opinion, I feel that the prophet (pbuh) had predicted or seen what women would be consumed with centuries later.

There’s a hadith that Abu Hurairah narrates that the messenger of Allah peace and blessings of Allah be upon him said:“I will not be a witness for two types of people who are destined for the Fire: people with whips, like the tails of cows, who beat the people (i.e., tyrannical rulers who are the enemies of their own people), and women who, although clothed, are yet naked, seducing and being seduced, their hair styled like the tilted humps of camels. These will not enter the Garden nor will its fragrance even reach them, although its fragrance reaches a very great distance”.

Islam came over 1400 years ago to free us from this form of slavery that society has marketed. We no longer have to be society’s puppets. Allah brought and revealed hijab to safeguard us from many afflictions and adversity. Alhamdulilah, I am so honored and blessed that Allah (swt) has unveiled my eyes so I can see the true ways of society and see the virtues of being a Hijabi. May Allah (swt) guide and safeguard us from worldly desires and reward us with the gardens of paradise, Amin.


© 2006 Jennifer Fayed Authorization is given by author to share and use for purposes of dawah (invitation to Islam)for non profit publications. If use is for other than non for profit purposes please contact author for other rights which are reserved.
Copyright © 2006 Sumayah Fayed

17 Comments:

Blogger Aiman said...

Salaam alaikum,

I'll insha'Allah put the link to this article on a forum. Hijab continues to be an issue of contention. I'm not convinced by those who speak against it. They say it is a matter of opinion and soon after ridicule it. Islam calls for modesty and the hijab symbolises that in its own way.

Your brother in Islam,

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sALAAM ALAIKUM SISTER
I DON'T WHAT TO SAY BUT TO WELCOMED YOU TO ISLAM. I MYSELF AM MUSLIM AND LIVING IN USA IS NOT EASY FOR ME AFTER SEPT. 11. 2001. IT WAS A DAY THAT CHANGED MY LIFE FOREVER. BUT KNOW I STAND UP TALL AND I FACE WHAT COMES TO ME. I AM PROUD TO BE WHO I AM AND NEVER CAN BE SO THANKFUL TO MIGHTY ALLAH FOR GIVEING ME AN HOPE IN LIVING THIS LIFE. WHEN I READ YOUR STORY I WAS IN TEAR AND KNOW AT THE END PROUD TO BE READING ABOUT YOU. MY FAMILY WANT TO MOVE TO N.C. BUT MY DAD DIN'T LIKE THE PLACE WHEN HE CAME LAST MONTH BUT I LOVE IT BECASUE IT IS VERY LIFE AND OPEN PLACE IN MY VIEW AND I HOPE TO GO THEIR MYSLEF AND HOPE TO MEET U TOO. BUT I REALLY LIEK WHAT HAVE YOU DONE, AND ONCE AGAIN WELCOMED WITH BEST WISHES AND A WONDERFUL LIFE. EVERYDAY BEGIN WITH A NEW JOURNEY IN LIFE. ALLAH HAFFIZ

11:42 AM  
Blogger Random Lord said...

Dearest Miss Jeniffer Fayed


Namaste! (I salute thee)

Asalaamu alaikum

This is Sri Krishna Prasad from India. I congratulate you for your new religion. I for one, am glad that I am talking to a person who could exercise her freewill and take a major and Radical decision like conversion.

Well I would be glad if you could answer my question. What do you think of the following Hadith? It is taken from

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/bukhari


Sahih Al-Bukhari: Volume 1, Book 6, Number 301:

Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri:


Once Allah's Apostle went out to the Musalla (to offer the prayer) o'Id-al-Adha or Al-Fitr prayer.

Then he passed by the women and said, "O women! Give alms, as I have seen that the majority of the dwellers of Hell-fire were you (women)."

They asked, "Why is it so, O Allah's Apostle ?"

He replied, "You curse frequently and are ungrateful to your husbands. I have not seen anyone more deficient in intelligence and religion than you. A cautious sensible man could be led astray by some of you."

The women asked, "O Allah's Apostle! What is deficient in our intelligence and religion?"

He said, "Is not the evidence of two women equal to the witness of one man?"

They replied in the affirmative.

He said, "This is the deficiency in her intelligence."

Isn't it true that a woman can neither pray nor fast during her menses?"

The women replied in the affirmative.

He said, "This is the deficiency in her religion."


Why did the Prophet regard women as less intelligent and less religious? Rather Half as intelligent and Half as religious.


There is something similar even in volume 3.

Sahih Al-Bukhari: Volume 3, Book 48, Number 826:
Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri:


The Prophet said, "Isn't the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?"

The women said, "Yes."

He said, "This is because of the deficiency of a woman's mind."



Try seeking the answers to these questions and if you could find out the answer to these questions or you already know them, please post it at rajayogin.blogspot.com and also mail it to me at kaypee.mailbox@gmail.com. Incase you could not find the answer and still want to talk to me or just want to know or want to contact me for any reason whatsoever you can still mail me @ the aforesaid address.

Thanking you

Sri Krishna Prasad

4:04 PM  
Blogger Sumayah said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Sumayah said...

Thank you for asking this question this is one of very common questions in Islam and I would like to answer your question and in it I will explain the hadiths. I would like to direct you and anyone who has questions about Islam to www.islamtomorrow.com this site has a lot of information on Islam and the basic teachings of Islam.

Let me start first by answering you question. The below is the answer and explanation to your question. I will number the explanations and answer for ease of explaining.

1. Our source of knowledge is Allah (SWT). Reason is not a source, but is a tool to understand what Allah revealed to us through his messanger (SAAWS). If you believe in this data, then your argument would be in the authenticity of the content of a Hadith.
2. The Quran is always fully articulate in vocabulary and style. Everything in the Quran is the exact saying of Allah. The Hadith is different in punctuality of language, because some Hadiths one related by the companions of the Prophet (SAAWS), they could have a different synonym or a different additional or omited conjuction or article. This is what is called in the Hadith terminology "narration by meaning".
3. The Hadith you referred to is authentic, the Prophet (SAAWS) talks about women not as a gender or a race or ethnic. He talks about sinful people who deserve what they will have of destiny. If a man does the same, he will have the same Hell. This is the only way you can interpret the Hadith.
4. The Prophet (SAAWS) has explained what he says of shortage of deen which is different from your interpretation or translation of deen. He says, you are less commended to practice the deen, because of menstruation. When he talks about lack of intellect, he does not talk about potential of brain or capacity of talent or skill. A woman is overloaded by being a mother or a babysitter or pregnant. All these carriers are around the clock, because of what she is, she is always likely to forget more than a man who is devoted to one career only. Allah is merciful, he forgives her and makes it easy for her when she is not fully responsible to give a full testimony as a witness. Nothing of that is defaming a woman, there is not a law that discriminates a woman to put her down.
5.Your opinion is reactionary and of some misunderstanding, but I appreciate your open-minded debate. May Allah (SWT) help us to follow his deen.

And Allah knows best.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Random Lord said...

Dearest Jennifer Fayed

Namaste!!

Hi Jennifer, this is Krishna again. Thank you for your precise reply. I went through your e-mail, though I already knew most of it. I read your comments on my blog and I read your comments on your blog too (They are the very same, though your comments on your blog summarizes things very well).

This is regarding the following comment made by you.

Jennifer: When he talks about lack of intellect, he does not talk about potential of brain or capacity of talent or skill. A woman is overloaded by being a mother or a babysitter or pregnant.

One small question, I would like to know the Arabic word used for intellect in that hadith and I would like to know all its possible meanings and interpretations, if it could be arranged that is. I hope my question is clear enough.

I commend the patience and sincerity with which you tackled my question. Do visit my blog and feel free to present your comments and ask questions if any.

Thanking you

Krishna Prasad

May noble thoughts enter us from everywhere.

12:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assalamu Alaykum

Inshallah, everything of the best for your site and learning more about islam. I am a born muslim from Cape Town, South africa. Hijab is the best thing that ever happened to me. While growing up i dressed like our westerners, but since i realize how silly i looked and found the beauty in our deen and hijab, ive never been happier. ive never felt more safe and secure than when i started wearing hijab. My husband looks at me with the utmost respect and thinks Hijab is just the sexiest way of dressing, coz he knows my body is known by him and him alone.. :)

id like to know more about you and your work..if you want to you can mail me at fierdous@atfin.com Inshallah

May Allah be wit you,
Salaams

Fierdous

5:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Jennifer Fayed,
I was very interested to read your article on hijib. I am not a Muslim yet but I think that there is much truth in your understanding of women's empowerment (as well as modesty!) in covering up, rather than exposing everything for all to see. My one main difference is that I find things around my neck and head to be hot and stuffy. What do you do about this?
Also, I am average looking and I'm not sure that I would inspire mad thoughts of lust, let alone men to run mad in the street. Interpret that as a certain amount of skepticism about the need to cover up so *very* completely! (For myself at least!)
Over all, I do like the idea of privacy that the hijib affords very much.
I have even gotten some clothes from the Shukr website linked to your own. Thank you for linking to that site! I have searched high and low trying to find nice modest clothing. I have even ordered an amira (sp?) though I don't know that I would have the courage to wear it!
Peace,
Amy

4:03 AM  
Blogger Sumayah said...

Hi Amy

Thanks for the comment hehehe... I understand very well that stuffy hot feeling LOL. When I finally became Muslim I bought hijabs that weren't let's say good for the summer I was sweating bullets LOL. I soon found out about the internet and I started to buy most of my hijabs online. Make sure that they are 100% cotton for the summer they will be so much easier and cooler to wear. Also I'm not sure if you're in the US but depending where you live especially with this whole bohemian chic trend going on you can definitely find really thin cool scarves that feel like silk on ur skin. I think most are cotton or have some linen or some other fabric (not the sewing type LOL)Anyway I have bought scarves from a store called H&M in NYC they have the best for the summer I feel like I don't even have anything on when the breeze comes the air goes completely through the scarf. Also Old navy I was told that they might have some scarves check them out and there is a store called Conway in NYC if you live there and they have a whole collection of scarves you may have to fight with women to get into the pile LOL I remember that so much.There is a site called www.thecanadianmuslim.com they have hijabs in the shayla section that are like fish nets and you have to wear an underscarf but I bought one and it's so cool to wear that one in the summer. Shukr like you said have good fabric scarves also I definitely recommend them its light and airy also. I will pray that Allah gives you the strength to wear you hijab proudly some day take your time Islam comes in stages and remember it's a life journey we never stop learning in Islam we are always learning something and trying to incorporate it into our lives. You are in my prayers Amy and keep in touch.

Hugs,
Jen

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Jennifer,
I went to that great Canadian website! Not only did they have nice, light clothing, but I just spent about 4 hours reading the blog...it was amazing!!
Everything I have read from Muslim women has been wonderfully inspiring and empowered! Please forgive my direct speaking, and maybe its just because I am so ignorant, but it almost seems that the Islam practiced by men and the Islam practiced by women is totally different. All the women seem to be right on track with sincere faith and submission to g-d. It is very beautiful!
My (limited) experience with Muslim(?) men has been limited to cat-calls, on the street groping, disgusting propositions and frank appraisal of my breasts. Not good. Maybe because there is a subconcious perception of Muslimah: don't disrespect, and Western infidel woman: doesn't matter if you disrespect? That could be a very biased interpretation on my part though!
The Islam of men seems very hateful, to my outsiders eyes. The Islam of women seems to be heartbreakingly lovely. What to think?
Thank you so much for responding to my posts. I mean no disrespect at all!! This is a very important and meaningful thing and I think honesty must overcome political correctness! :(
Peace,
Amy

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Jennifer,
I went to that great Canadian website! Not only did they have nice, light clothing, but I just spent about 4 hours reading the blog...it was amazing!!
Everything I have read from Muslim women has been wonderfully inspiring and empowered! Please forgive my direct speaking, and maybe its just because I am so ignorant, but it almost seems that the Islam practiced by men and the Islam practiced by women is totally different. All the women seem to be right on track with sincere faith and submission to g-d. It is very beautiful!
My (limited) experience with Muslim(?) men has been limited to cat-calls, on the street groping, disgusting propositions and frank appraisal of my breasts. Not good. Maybe because there is a subconcious perception of Muslimah: don't disrespect, and Western infidel woman: doesn't matter if you disrespect? That could be a very biased interpretation on my part though!
The Islam of men seems very hateful, to my outsiders eyes. The Islam of women seems to be heartbreakingly lovely. What to think?
Thank you so much for responding to my posts. I mean no disrespect at all!! This is a very important and meaningful thing and I think honesty must overcome political correctness! :(
Peace,
Amy

3:26 PM  
Blogger Sumayah said...

Hi Amy

It's so great that you liked the site hehehe.. I like the fact that they have so much info on hijab and how to put it and a blog and a forum to help with issues related to hijab. May Allah bless them.

As for those guys agh...stay away from them they are so deviant to Islam may Allah guide them. They should fear Allah and know they are getting bad deeds. They should respect all women no matter what their faith or background is. If you know any of them personally tell them to fear Allah and disassociate yourself from them who knows maybe your strong reaction will shock them and they will be better servants to Allah The Most High. I get so upset and sad when I hear about people like that and I feel sorry for them.

There is a group I am part of they are in yahoo groups it's Sisters4Dawah they are marvelous we have such a strong sisterhood and great Islamic advice and resources. They are my cyber family and when a sister is in need of anything there is always someone who is fast in helping them whether they need a scarf a friend, a book, pretty much anything. You don't have to be a Muslim to join but I think you might really like it. One of the requirements that you have to have is to be a woman and hmmm.....you have defintely filled that requirement LOL. Easy one ha. So check it out in your free time I hope you join. Ok well I hope you are well and May Allah bless you and guide you always.

Hugs,
Jen (Sumayah)

3:59 PM  
Blogger Sumayah said...

I forgot to add sweetie you're not ignorant nor do I dislike your directness LOL this is great and I'm so glad that we have met at least cyberly hehehee.. As for what you said about Islam there are just some people who have become astrayed in Islam but you are on the right way of understanding Islam.

Hugs,
Sumayah

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sumayah!
I have signed up for the Sisters4Dawah group, it looks very interesting! I am so excited! My fiance is very skeptical and hostile to faith and religion, so I generally have no one to discuss things like that with. It is very sad for both of us, and I think that he would be much more happy if he allowed a little faith in his life.
Anyhow, I am excited about this!!
As for the rude men, maybe they weren't Muslims, maybe they were. They were Kashmiris in Northern India and I got hassled by swarthy men in Brussels, but who knows!? In the future I will use what you said. If they are/were Muslim they will understand it, and know that its not ok! ;)
Otherwise, I wanted to say that your writing is great, and do you have more? I am very interested in your shahada (sp?) that means the journey to faith, right? I started reading Aishah's page and its facinating!
Anyhow, there you are, I have to go take some bread out of the oven for dinner, its West coast time here, so you are probably asleep! Have a good night and bless you!
Peace,
Amy

8:45 PM  
Blogger Christopher said...

Wow, I must say that I find this whole blog to be very interesting.

I do, however, have some questions. You said:

"One of the purposes of hijab is to protect women and to elevate us from being viewed only as sexual beings. I saw this everyday when I wore hijab. If I had to talk to a man he wouldn’t see me anymore as this piece of flesh. I was seen as an equal and they would be captivated by what my mind possessed. I was so proud of this achievement...."

I won't deny the fact that often men look at women as sexual objects. But how is this a solution? Your body and/or beauty is not the cause of a man's sexual depravity and this does not in any way help him become a better person.

And even though I'm a man, I often have conversations with women (on a regular basis, in fact) without thinking of them simply as a way to gratify my sexual needs. Why am I able to do this? Certainly not because all the women around me are wear the hijab.

And why are you so sure that all men see you as a "piece of flesh"? If this is how you feel your acquaintances approach you, then I would first suggest finding better friends.

I'm not trying to be rude or mean. But I would like to hear your reply to these questions.

6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

assalamualaykum..

i'm Hanin from Malaysia.. first and foremost, thanks for having the effort to promote dakwah among the muslims as well as the muslim.. i'd like to inform u that i have my own blog and it's for dakwah purpose as well, but mostly written in our language, Bahasa Melayu.. anyway, i'd like to get ur permission to link your blog to mine and link any articles and experience that you posted in your blog to mine.. insha-Allah, for the sake of dakwah... thanks..

12:26 AM  
Blogger Sumayah said...

Walakium Salaam Hanin,

Thank you for the feedback. I'm so happy to hear that you have created your own blog Mashallah!!!!! May Allah Bless you!!!! You have my humble permission to post my articles and a link to my blog. If possible can you give me the link to your blog? I know it's in your native language but inshallah you'll have 1 or 2 posts in English someday and I'm sure I would enjoy reading it.

Many Blessings,
Sumayah

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click here to join Muslimah_Writers_Alliance
Click to join Muslimah_Writers_Alliance
Copyright © 2006 Sumayah Fayed Authorization is given to distribute on websites for dawah (invitation to Islam) purposes in non-profit publications under the following conditions:information on this site may not be modified,copyright notice and permission notice must appear in the publication (Copyright © 2006 Sumayah Fayed. All Rights Reserved)If use is for commercial purposes please contact the author for all other rights, which are reserved.